Our Platform Engineering team help us to develop, maintain and automate our platform which supports all server-side components and integrations to ensure the Asto back-end can adequately deliver the functionality, stability, security and performance to serve the front-end clients and the ambitions of the platform
We’re providing small businesses with the support they need to reach their goals. By building a first-in-class app that lets them manage their business and get money into their pockets sooner, we’re helping them succeed.
What you’ll be doing
• You`ll be Automating actions and processes that need to take place to set up a new environment which hosts our back-end services and data stores.
• Supporting automated continuous delivery and monitoring services in production.
• Developing the core back-end services of our platform, supporting the mobile apps, web applications and other users of the platform.
• Building technical integrations with strategic third parties.
• Participating in Agile development streams involving architecture, product, design, backend and frontend engineering.
• Contributing to code reviews, pair programming
• Ensuring the delivery of quality software, via reusable, testable and efficient code
• Performing functional and technical analysis
• Demonstrating a balance between technical excellence and rapid delivery
• Aid growing Asto into a leading tech company
What you’ll need to know
You should be extensively experienced with Cloud Native / AWS and infrastructure.
Well versed in Agile Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery ways of working, BDD and TDD, and use of a DevOps toolset, unit, integration and system test automation
You’ll be an approachable person who is be able to communicate your message well, enjoy giving talks at meet-ups or on other channels. You’ll also be mentoring other Engineers while taking the lead, so others can follow you.
Competencies and skills
• Extensive experience with AWS (other cloud IaaS providers a bonus), Cloud networking and infrastructure. Previous experience in an SRE role, platform, automation, systems and operations function is a bonus
• Good knowledge of containerisation and orchestration (Docker and Kubernetes)
• Familiar with security best practices and cloud security
• Comfortable with Powershell scripting
• Good experience with Infrastructure as code tools (Terraform)
• Good experience building and interfacing with RESTful APIs (HTTP/JSON), and Web Services (SOAP/HTTP)
• Demonstrable understanding of computing fundamentals, object orientated programming, micro-services, service-oriented architecture, integration patterns (Kafka a bonus)
• Understanding of client-side or front-end web tech (HTML, CSS, JS) to communicate with mobile and front-end dev`s
• Good experience with both SQL and NoSQL databases such as MongoDB
• Experience with version control (Git)
Knowledge of modern Java in the context of building backend services (with Spring Boot, Maven, other languages a bonus)
• Great collaboration skills
• Resilient to change and pace whilst also showing resourcefulness and the ability to work through challenging problems
• Optimistic, open and personal
• Relevant degree in Engineering/Computer science (or similar)
• Our competitive salary will reflect your knowledge and experience
• We’ll contribute to your travel into the office
• You’ll be rewarded with a bonus for being your best
• The office is right next to Liverpool Street Station, with a barista, free fruit, and a self-serve bar
• 30 days holiday for you to take (on top of UK Public Holidays)
• Get your birthday off, ‘cause who wants to work on their special day?
We believe quality comes from mastery and simplicity, and that we should make things as best as we’re able. Leadership is a behaviour, not a job title. We’ve blended scrums and XP, but are happy to innovate.
Work/life is an important balance for everyone, so we typically get our work done during the day. We’re moving to a model where each squad owns the full vertical from frontend to DevOps, supported by an exceptional platform team.
Must be eligible to work in the UK